Building Inspections

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Town of Carolina Beach Building Inspections Division enforces certain minimum standards pursuant to the most current North Carolina Building Code. The purpose of having these minimum standards are to ensure the public's health and general welfare through structural strength, stability, sanitation, adequate light and ventilation, and safety to life and property from fire, hurricane, and other hazards attributed to the built environment. Inspections to ensure the minimum standards are met typically occur during alteration, repair, removal, demolition, use, and occupancy of buildings, structures or premises.  Currently we are using the 2018 North Carolina Building Codes.  To apply for a Building Permit, click here.

To schedule an inspection, email the Building Inspector or call at (O) 910-458- (C) 910-547-1640

New Hanover County Building Safety Division regulates the installation and maintenance of all electrical, gas, mechanical and plumbing systems, which may be referred to as service systems. To obtain a service system/trade permit contact the New Hanover Building Safety Division.The provisions in the North Carolina Building code shall be deemed to supplement any and all State laws of the State of North Carolina relating to building.


Town Zoning & Code Violations

The Town of Carolina Beach is working to keep our neighborhoods clean and green. Zoning & Code Enforcement is responsible for enforcing Town ordinances where violations of structures and properties and other public nuisances occur. Enforcement efforts are also in place to help educate Citizens on maintaining a clean, safe, and healthy living environment.

If a violation occurs, a Code Enforcement officer works closely with Citizens to correct violations to meet municipal codes and land use requirements.

Common Violations
Common violations investigated include:

  • Illegal home occupations
  • Building setbacks
  • Unapproved land uses
  • Portable signs
  • Banners
  • High grass and weeds
  • Trash and debris
  • Junk vehicles
  • Minimum housing complaints

Report a Violation