Meter Tampering

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


  • Per North Carolina General Statute 14-151.1, it shall be unlawful for any unauthorized person to alter, tamper with, or bypass a meter which has been installed for the purpose of measuring the use of water or knowingly to use water passing through any such tampered meter or water bypassing a meter provided by the town for the purpose of measuring and registering the quantity of water consumed.  Any meter or service entrance facility found to have been altered, tampered with, or bypassed in a manner that would cause such meter to inaccurately measure and register the water consumed, or which would cause the water to be diverted from the recording apparatus of the meter, shall be prima facie evidence of intent to violate and of the violation of this section by the person in whose name such meter is installed, or the person or persons so using or receiving the benefits of such unmetered, unregistered, or diverted water.  Any person(s) not authorized by the town operating any valves on the distribution system, which included the cut off valve at the meter, hydrants, etc. shall be charged with tampering.
  • Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
  • Whoever is found in a civil and/or criminal action to have violated any provisions of this section shall be liable to the town; losses shall be fined the amount of $500.00 and shall also be charged for the cost to repair and or replace any damages sustained, the next occurrence would double the $500.00 fine and any cost of damages.

A $150.00 fine will be charged to customers who illegally cut on their own water.  Civil and criminal penalties also apply.

If water is cut on illegally after disconnection due to nonpayment of a utility bill, this will cause the removal of the water meter.  In addition to the $150.00 fine, there will be a charge of $75.00 to have the meter replaced.

If you need to have repairs done at your property, please contact the Billing Department at 910-458-2983 or 910-458-4821 to have a Town employee turn the water off at the meter. Once repairs are completed, contact the Billing Department and we will turn the water back on.