Frequently Asked Questions

1.) What number do I call when it is not an emergency?
You should call the Communications Center at 910-452-6120 to report any suspicious activity, incidents, crimes or accidents of a non-emergency nature. For the Records and Administrative sections of the police department, you can call 910-458-2540.

2.) How late is the police department open?
Carolina Beach Police Department functions 24 hours a day 7 days a week along with our Dispatchers at the 911 Center.  The Front Desk is open Monday-Friday from 8am – 5pm and can be reached by calling 910-458-2540.

3.) Can you take a report over the phone?
The majority of reports are taken by an officer responding to the location where the incident occurred in Carolina Beach or you can choose to come by the station.  However, due to the level of out of town visitors we do make exceptions on a case by case basis for reports to be taken over the phone.

4.) How do I get a copy of a police report (crime or accident)?
You can obtain a copy of a police report anytime between 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday by stopping by, calling or mail in a written request. You need to call Records, in advance, to make sure the report is ready for release.

If you choose to send in a request, please include a return address stamped envelope so the report can be mailed back to you.

                   Written requests can be sent to:
Carolina Beach Police Department
                   Attn: Records
                   1121 N. Lake Park Blvd.
                   Carolina Beach, NC 28428

5.) What is the process to apply for a job within the police department?
You can access the Town of Carolina Beach website at and select the “Work” link. That link will direct you to a listing of positions. Complete the Town Application along with the Criminal Justice Training & Standards F-3 Form for a sworn law enforcement position.  Bring the completed packet to the Front Desk or you can mail them to:

                 Carolina Beach Police Department
                 Attn: Recruiting
                 1121 N. Lake Park Blvd.
                 Carolina Beach, NC 28428

6.) How can I get fingerprinted for work or license certification?
Carolina Beach Police Department conducts fingerprinting Monday, Wednesday & Friday 11am- 3pm.  The current fee is $20.  Unfortunately, the days and times aren’t guaranteed due to call volume or prisoner processing and we can’t accept appointments.   

Alternate locations for fingerprinting:

New Hanover County Sheriff's Department, 300 Princess St. Room 200, Wilmington, NC, 910-798-4501, Hours: Monday through Friday 9am -3pm.

Wilmington Police Department, 615 Bess St., Wilmington, NC, 910-343-3600. Hours: Monday, Wednesday & Friday 9am-11am & 1pm-3pm. (Payment must be made at City of Wilmington Collections, 305 Chestnut St. 1st Floor.)

7.) When will my report be ready (for release)?
For accident reports, Officers have anywhere from one-to-five work days to turn in the initial accident report for public release.

For crime-related reports/incidents, there currently is no time limit on turning the report in for release. Once the report is turned in, the initial report may be available for release but any investigative documents may not be released until a “closed” or “inactive” status is placed on the case.

8.) What is the curfew for minor’s in Carolina Beach?
Areas such as, but not limited to, all common areas open to all for common use; alleys, streets, or public places, or places of business and amusement; public vehicular areas, highways, and parks; establishments open to the public for the conduct of business.

A curfew applicable to minors (under the age of 16) is established and shall be enforced as follows:

(1)Time limits. It is unlawful for any minor to be or remain upon any public place as defined in this section in the Town of Carolina Beach between midnight (12:01 a.m.) and 5:00 a.m. Monday through Sunday.

(2)Exceptions. The restrictions provided shall not apply to any minor who is accompanied by a guardian, parent or other person charged with the care and custody of such minor nor shall the restriction apply to any minor who is traveling between his home or place of employment, church, municipal building or school where a function is being held.

(3)Enforcement: When a minor is found to be in violation of this section the officer will check to determine if the juvenile is a first offender. If the juvenile is a first offender, he/she will be taken to the residence of his/her parent or guardian if child resides in town limits. If not, try to contact parent/guardian. A written warning will be given to that adult and an information report taken by the officer to include the name of the juvenile and adult and the time, date and location of the offense. If the juvenile is found to be a repeat offender, he/she will be taken to the residence of his/her parent or guardian and the adult will be subject to a criminal citation. If the juvenile is under twelve (12) years of age, a report will be made and a copy forwarded to the New Hanover County Department of Social Services.

(4)Punishment. The punishment for violation of this section shall be a fine of up to five hundred dollars ($500.00) and/or imprisonment for up to six (6) months.

9.) Can Records fax a copy of my report to me?
Yes, please contact the Front Desk at 910-458-2540 Monday through Friday 8am-5pm.

10.) Can I obtain a copy of my report online?
Unfortunately, at this time we don’t have this capability but hope to change that in the future.

11.) How do I put my house on the vacation watch?
Complete the House Watch form online, stop by the station to complete it or call our Front Desk between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday at 910-458-2540.

12.) Are skateboards and/or “toy” vehicles allowed on the streets, bike paths, and/or sidewalks?
It shall be unlawful for any person riding upon any coaster, roller skates, skates, skateboard, or other similar means of propulsion to use same upon the public walkways or sidewalks within the town's Boardwalk area and central Business District as defined by the town's zoning maps and ordinances, unless authorized by the town council.

13.) Do we have a lost and found?
Yes. Found property is logged and stored in a secure location by our evidence custodian.  If the owner can be identified we try every method of contacting them to return the items.  Items not claimed within a year are sold at auction.

14.) How do I call if I found a lost or injured animal?
New Hanover County Animal Control is responsible for lost, abandoned, loud or any situation involving domestic animals, they can be reached at 910-798-7500.

15.) Does the Carolina Beach Police Department have a jail?
We have 3 temporary holding cells individuals in custody until they are either released or transferred to the New Hanover County Detention Center, 3950 Juvenile Center Rd, Castle Hayne, NC, 910-798-4200.

16.) Can the Carolina Beach Police Department unlock my vehicle?
Due to liability for potential damage to the vehicle we are not able to unlock vehicles, unless a child is locked in the vehicle. Several local area taxi services and locksmiths will unlock your vehicle for a fee.