Sheltering in Place...
Carolina Beach residents are urged follow all evacuation orders and seek a safe shelter from severe weather. However, if you decide to stay in your home during a hurricane event, please be aware that Town employees or emergency personnel may not be available to help you in an emergency during the storm. This includes EMS, Fire, and Police services. There is also a high probablility that utility services like electricity and water will be lost/turned off. During a hurricane event, roads could be blocked and any curfews in place will be strictly enforced.
If you stay home during a huricane, please follow these suggestions to remain safe and unharmed:
- Inform friends or family that you are staying home
- Stay Indoors-If eye of the hurricane passes over our area, it is only temporary period of peaceful weather conditions. The duration of time within the eye varies from several minutes to a couple of hours, depending on the severity of the storm. The larger and more intense the hurricane, the bigger its eye. When the eye of the hurricane has passed, the winds will return from the opposite direction.
- Prepare in advance and have enough supplies to last for at least 72 hours
- Stay away from windows and glass doors-high winds associated with hurricanes can turn a small piece of debris into a missile able to seriously injure you.
- Turn your refrigerator or freezer to the coldest setting and open only when necessary. If you lose power, food will last longer.
- Turn on your TV/radio/cell phone, or check your city/county website every 30 minutes in order to get the latest weather updates and emergency instructions.