HORSEBACK RIDING AT FREEMAN PARK
MANAGED BY THE TOWN OF CAROLINA BEACH & SP PLUS MUNICIPAL SERVICES
Horses may be ridden within and on the sand portion of the beach of Freeman Park between October 1st and March 31st only. Horses shall not be allowed within Freeman Park from April 1st to September 30th. It is unlawful to ride, lead or drive any animal upon the sidewalks, boardwalk, roads or beaches within any other area of the Town’s corporate limits.
HORSEBACK RIDING RESTRICTIONS
- Horses and horseback riding shall be allowed at Freeman Park during daylight hours only and are not allowed on private property (areas with vegetation).
- Horses and riders are not allowed to walk or ride on the sand dunes or disturb the fencing and signs. Dune violation fines range from $100 to $1,000.
- Any feces dropped by the horse on the beach, on the streets on the way into the park, and in the Town parking areas shall be removed by the rider and disposed of away from the beach in an environmentally safe and appropriate manner.
- The number of riders and horses together in a group shall not exceed four (4) combinations of horse and rider on the ocean beach and on the public streets on the way into the park.
- At no time shall a horse be ridden on the ocean beach at a speed or in a manner likely to endanger persons or property.
- The owner of a horse ridden in violation of these provisions, as well as, the rider shall be subject to the penalty provided herein.
- No renting of horses, horseback riding tours or any commercial related horse activities will be allowed at Freeman Park.
HORSEBACK BEACH ACCESS
Horseback riders wishing to access the beach shall go directly from the north end parking areas to the beach by way of the following access points:
These access locations are the only horse and rider designated access points for the purpose of going on to and departing from Freeman Park while riding a horse. Horses and riders shall access the beach only at the above locations and may only use the Town streets as corridors to get to arrive at these approved entrances.
Unloading of vehicles associated with horseback riding will be allowed between October 1st and March 31st at Public Parking Lots located at 1706 Canal Dr. and 1810 Canal Dr. (if spaces are available), or on private property in the vicinity of this area with the permission of the Town Manager.
- Vehicles and trailers shall obey all parking regulations.
- Paid parking is still in effect for the month of October during which visitors parked in the Town’s parking lots are responsible for purchasing parking. Visitors with horse trailers are expected to purchase enough parking for the number of spaces that their vehicle occupies.
QUESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact:
The Town of Carolina Beach Parking Office
1204 N. Lake Park Blvd. Suite D
Carolina Beach, NC 28428