FREEMAN PARK ANNUAL PERMIT SALES/CAMPING CHANGES
2020 ANNUAL PERMITS
2020 Freeman Park annual permits are now on sale. Purchases in person made be made at the following locations
Carolina Beach Town Hall
1121 N. Lake Park Blvd.
Carolina Beach Parking Office
1708 Canal Dr.
801 N. Lake Park Blvd.
Purchases made in person between December 9, 2019 - January 31, 2020 will be eligible for the discount price of $100. All online purchases will be charged the full price of $200.
OVERNIGHT CAMPING CHANGES
Effective January 1, 2020, the following changes will take effect related to overnight camping in Freeman Park:
- Overnight camping will only be allowed Labor Day through the Thursday before Memorial Day. No overnight camping be allowed the Friday before Memorial Day through the Sunday before Labor Day.
- Overnight camping will only be allowed in designated, reserved camp sites.
- Overnight camping will cost $50 per night
FREEMAN PARK-ACCESS UPDATES
Unfortunately, the effects of tides and erosion still exist, and the northern areas of Freeman Park remain closed to all vehicular traffic. Intermittent closures could still be possible based on limited beach area and level of patron use. Public safety staff will perform assessments regularly to determine when additional sections of the park can safely be opened, or if additional closures are required.
FREEMAN PARK REGULATIONS
A Freeman Park Management Plan is in place to protect the environment and public interest in the Park and to discourage unauthorized entry onto adjacent private property. If you plan on visiting the park please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations. Visitors are expected to be mindful of this natural wonder and respectful of fellow visitors.
Freeman Park Rules
Freeman Park Reglas En Español
MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED ABOUT TOPICS
- It is illegal to possess spirituous liquor and or fortified wine per NC General Statute 18B-301.
- Only natural firewood can be burned in a fire container less than 3 feet in diameter. Burning trash, shipping pallets, or construction material is not allowed. See Campfire regulations below for additional information.
- Four Wheel Drive Vehicles Only - No All Wheel or Two Wheel Drive Vehicles Permitted.
- Trailers or ATVs are not permitted in Freeman Park at any time.
- Freeman Park Annual Permits are not valid unless they are permanently attached to the vehicle’s windshield.
- Littering of any kind is strictly forbidden in Freeman Park. This includes cigarette butts, fishing tackle, campfire remains, and other trash.
- DO NOT LEAVE ANY TRASH ON THE BEACH. All litter must be taken from the park or discarded in public receptacles. Burning trash or debris is strictly prohibited and will result in fines.
- Glass containers are not allowed.
- Wastewater from self-contained vehicles must be kept in a holding tank and may not be emptied while at Freeman Park.
DRIVING ON THE BEACH
- Speed limit at Freeman Park is 15 miles per hour.
- Please drive safely and be courteous to other motorists, pedestrians, and all other beach visitors.
- Riding on bumpers, tailgates or on the hoods of vehicles is strictly prohibited.
- Cutting circles (also known as “making doughnuts”) or otherwise defacing the beach is strictly prohibited.
Beach Driving Tip: Carry a low-pressure tire gauge, a tow rope/chain, board, jack, and shovel in case your vehicle gets stuck in the sand. Lowering the tire pressure helps reduce the possibility of getting stuck in the soft sand. OTHER VEHICLE RULES
- Major repairs of vehicles are not allowed in the Park or in the adjacent Municipal parking lots.
- Abandoned vehicles left unattended for more than 24 hours will be claimed by the Carolina Beach Police Department.
- Trailers or ATVs are not permitted in Freeman Park at any time.
Sleeping in a vehicle or overnight camping between April 1st and September 30th is permitted at Freeman Park with a paid reservation in designated camping locations only. For daytime visitors sun shades, day tents, canopies, and other similar devices are allowed along the ocean but must be removed prior to 11:00 pm each night.
Freeman Park Camping Rules
Freeman Park Reglas De Camping En Español
Please click here for additional camping information.
RESERVATIONS: Campsites must be reserved from April 1st through September 30th. During this period there is a $ 30.00 per night fee for a campsite permit. Reservations are on a first come first serve basis. No reservation is needed for camping at the park from October 1st through March 31st. Campers must have a valid Freeman Park access pass and camping permit to camp in the park. Camping permits can only be purchased on-line.
Please be sure to print your camping permit prior to arriving at the park. Permits must be posted in the window of one vehicle at the campsite or be available for inspection at the campsite.
- Small campfires are allowed Oceanside at Freeman Park starting at Marker 4 and extending north to the end of the park. Campfires must be contained within fire containers no greater than 3 feet wide.
- No campfires are allowed within 10 feet of the dune or vegetation line.
- All fire remains and debris must be placed in ash containers or removed from the beach. Failure to do so will result in a fine.
- Any fire container over 3 feet in diameter will be considered a bon fire and is not permitted.
- All campfires will be subject to regulations of the Town of Carolina Beach Fire Code.
- Fires may not be left unattended and must be extinguished with water, not sand. Only natural firewood can be burned. Burning trash, shipping pallets, or construction material is not allowed.
- Campfire privileges can be revoked for failure to follow any regulation as outlined in this code.
FIREARMS AND FIREWORKS
- No concealed weapons without a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. NC General Statute 14-415.23 and NC general Statute 14-415.11(C2) shall be enforced.
- Fireworks are not permitted at any time.
LIFEGUARDS The Town of Carolina Beach provides seasonal lifeguard services for your safety and protection.
- Please exercise caution at all times, even when lifeguards are present.
- Be aware of dangers involved with swimming in the ocean including rip currents, strong waves, jellyfish, etc.
- NEVER SWIM ALONE.
CONDUCT OF VISITORS
- Visitors to Freeman Park should be considerate of others when using televisions, radios, stereos, musical instruments, generators or other similar items.
- Visitors should conduct themselves in a manner that is respectful of other people in the park.
- Public nudity is prohibited.
Sand dunes are very important for the eco-system of the beach. They protect the beach from erosion, especially during hurricanes and they provide nesting areas for wildlife.
- Do not walk or drive on the sand dunes or disturb the fencing and signs.
- Dune violation fines range from $100 to $1,000. Freeman Park permit privileges may be revoked.
- Sea Turtles are under protection of the Endangered Species Act, therefore, it is unlawful to harass, harm, capture or collect sea turtles and live or dead hatchlings, juvenile or adult sea turtles. Violators can be prosecuted under criminal or civil laws and penalties.
- Extreme caution should be used while driving on the beach in order to avoid turtle nests.
- A valid NC Coastal Recreation Fishing License is required for all types of fishing.
- Do not feed the wildlife.
- Dogs are allowed in Freeman Park ON A LEASH between April 1st and September 30th.
- Dogs are allowed in Freeman Park OFF LEASH between October 1st and March 31st so long as they remain under voice command and the owner is within reasonable distance of the pet.
- The owner(s) of a dog(s) who harm or cause offenses or damages to the public or deposits waste upon public land or property will be held responsible for such action and must immediately clean up the waste.
- Dog owners must carry a minimum of two plastic bags, or other suitable plastic or paper containers, that can be used to clean up and contain dog waste until it can be disposed of in an appropriate container. The bags must be produced and shown upon request.
QUESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION If you have any further questions please feel free to contact:
The Town of Carolina Beach Parking Office
1204 N. Lake Park Blvd. Suite D
Carolina Beach, NC 28428